Avoid kiting in No-go and Caution areas. These are usually designated by signage, but you should also ask locals and check the Internet when kiting at a new location about whether any no-go zones are there.
No Go zones include:
- designated swimming zones
- exclusions zones near the approach to airports
- shipping channels (you may be able to cross them, but must maintain good clearance from large ships)
- ferry terminals
Examples of No Go zones
In Sydney, Australia:
- Sydney Harbour is a no-go zone for sailboarding and kitesurfing.
- At Pittwater off Station Beach, caution is required as this is a seaplane landing and take-off area. Appropriate warning signs have been established north and south of the seaplane wharf.
In Melbourne, Australia
- A No Boating zone in front of the Mentone Life Saving Club extending 150 metres seaward.